Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Firewood Rustlers and Eminent Domain

Johnny Mack, my good friend and neighbor, pulled into my laneway. "I figured you had a problem," JM said.

And the answer was his 1991 International 9400. It's got a dump and a 13 speed transmission. A real man's truck! And it will go places my Durango will not!

He could have left the truck and asked me to return it when I was done with it. But being neighborly, he offered a day's labor, too. "It won't load itself," he said, urging me from my chair.

Off to the woods to get my firewood. Or, rather, to get most of my firewood. Seems some miscreant helped himself to the sweat of my brow.

JM, farmer, trucker, and very observant man, noted the tire tracks had a distinct slash in the tread. "We'll look for Wood Rustler, later."

To make a long story short. We found Wood Rustler! New kid to the area, renting the old Renwick place, a few miles from my farm. Wood Rustler was riled up when we confronted him!

"I need the wood. This place is going to be cold!"

Well, he could look past his thieving nose! But, he figures he can just help himself to another man's property! Just because he needs it!

As I said before, I need an old farm truck!

"Just like those folk in Cooper City," said JM, " down in Florida. Council people deciding to take folk's stuff if a hurricane hits!"

Wood Rustler sneered. "Hey dude, what's that got to do with my wood?"

JM quickly got himself between me and the Wood Rustler. "Just because they need it ain't a reason for anyone taking anything. Not even official type folk."

Course I couldn't see the look on JM's face but suddenly Wood Rustler picked up a chunk of my firewood and tossed it -- into the International's dump. JM is fierce on a man's natural rights!

So far the official folk in Cooper City aren't backing down. Seems everyone's generator and chainsaw are still subject to emergency seizure. Tool Rustlers!

They ain't met me and JM yet! Both of us be glad to spend some time meeting the Tool Rustlers. Especially come January!

Now I got to find a job for Wood Rustler. So he can pay me for the firewood. (Yeah, we left it. No sense in hauling it out just to haul it back.) It's going to be cold at the old Renwick place come winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home